What is a Bridge Piercing?
A bridge piercing is nasal or facial piercing through the skin on the conduit of the nose. It is a popular Double nose modification that is usually between the eyes. It is a surface piercing that looks funky and gives a different image altogether. This form of piercing is also famous as Earl piercing and does not cause a threat to eyes or sinuses. However, the risk of rejection and scarring remains.
Vertical Bridge Piercing
- Select an appropriate salon holding a license in piercings.
- Make sure the equipment and tools of piercing are clean and sterilize.
- The piercer will clean the area where the punches are desirable.
- Follows it by marking the two spots that are the entry and exit spot on the bridge of the nose.
- Makes a piercing hole on the marked dots.
- Inserts the straight barbell in the perforation.
Remember, a bridge piercing does not pass through the bone. It is a surface piercing where only the skin is perforated. The piercing can either be vertical or horizontal depending on the individual’s choice.
Risks associated with Bridge piercings
- Infection: There is always a risk of infections as the piercing goes under the skin where a hole carves inside the flesh, and the opening makes it prone to infection.
- Swelling: The main problem is the swelling that follows after the process. It gives a feeling of stretched eyes.
- Irritation: Some facial creams or products can irritate piercings especially the ones having alcohol in them.
- Incompetent piercer: If the piercer is not an expert, he may not be accurate. I that case, he may make the wrong piercing which can have grave complications in the future.
- Migration: As bridge piercing is a surface piercing it has a high probability of migrating to other parts.
- Rejection: The risk of rejection goes with all surface piercing. Suppose the piercing is not profound, the body might push it outwards.
Bridge Piercing Pictures
Aftercare: Do’s & Don’ts
- Make sure that your hands are clean before touching the piercing.
- Dab a piece of cotton in warm saline solution and keep it on your nose.
- Clean the crust formed on the piercing gently, not vigorously.
- Increase the intake of Vitamin B12, C and Zinc in meals to make the healing faster.
- Do not use any cosmetics near the piercing area.
- Avoid going swimming in public pools.
- Do not wear sunglasses during the healing time of bridge piercing.
- Do not remove your jewelry while the piercing wound is healing.
The bridge piercing site is close to cartilage, so there is a little sting that people feel while getting the piercing. The intensity can be more for those who have a low tolerance capacity for pain. Bleeding can take place during and after the piercing takes place.
Bridge Piercing Photos
Bridge piercings may take 8 to 12 weeks to recover completely. The time for recovery also depends on the fact that how diligently a person practices aftercare. It gets more prominent to take care of the piercing as the risk of rejection and migration is quite high.
Nose Bridge Piercing Jewelry
The ideal choice for the jewelry is curved barbells. Straight barbells too fit well in bridge piercings but can inflict too much stress on fistula and surrounding tissues of the piercing, hence increasing the chances of migration. D-shaped jewelry or retainer may help in reducing the chances. The length of the barbell usually depends on the width of the nasal bridge.
A 14-18 gauge barbell is preferable initially. The jewelry can be changed later after the piercing heals.
The metal choice for jewelry should be such that it does not cause any itching or irritation in the skin. In short, it should be skin friendly and less reactive. Noncorrosive metal does not rust and hence are durable. Gold, Surgical Steel, and Niobium can be good choices. Acrylic barbells are also popular among people nowadays.
Bridge Piercing Images
Cost: Bridge piercing
Bridge Piercing Jewelry
Depending on the shop and choice of jewelry the price of piercing may differ. The ideal prices range between $40-$90.
Neck Piercing Outie Belly Button Piercing
Ten articles before and after