What is Uvula Piercing?
It is the perforation of the uvula, a tiny, fleshy mass of tissue hanging from the soft palate at the back of the throat. A rare type of oral piercing, getting a uvula piercing could be a unique experience for the body piercing enthusiasts. Double uvula piercing is a popular variation where two perforations takes place on the uvula. It is one of the most Unique Piercings.
It was first done by Jon Cobb who performed it in 1994. This type of oral piercing is a rare form of body modification because of the complexities that may arise.
As many piercing studios do not perform this piercing, you need to make an extensive search to find a good salon that has expertise in oral piercings. It poses major challenges for the piercing professional as touching of the uvula causes the gag reflex, resulting in the contraction of the back of the throat. Prior to the procedure, you will have to rinse your mouth well using an antibacterial solution. After clamping the uvula, a sterilized, hollow, pre-bent needle is passed through it. The jewelry is immediately inserted into the pierced mass of tissue to complete the process.
Risks & Health Problems Associated
Uvula Barbell Piercing
- Risk of crush injury during piercing and may result in swelling
- Jewelry pulls down the Uvula reduces the diameter of the nasal airway that can cause sleep-related breathing disorders such as snoring.
- Bisection of the uvula (it is harmless).
- Uvula piercing may in some cases impair fellatio.
- Cleaning procedure is quite difficult and requires the use of forceps
- Accidental dislodging or damage to the Uvula.
- Chances of swallowing the jewelry that sticks in the throat impeding airflow and food.
- Rejection of piercing by the body.
Uvula piercing Pain
It is considered to be one of the most painful piercing. Since uvula is a delicate tissue, getting it pierced hurts a lot. Like any other oral piercing, the pierced uvula undergoes swelling and bruising for few days accompanied by light bleeding.
Complete healing of uvular piercing takes about two weeks.
- Rinse the mouth thoroughly with warm saline water
- Maintain proper oral hygiene
- Gargle using saline water daily.
- Avoid touching the jewelry with unwashed hands
- Avoid smoking and drinking alcohol
- Do not touch the jewelry with tongue.
- While cleaning the jewelry try to hold the Uvula using forceps to avoid injuries due to gagging.
- Do not eat hot and spicy foods.
- Avoid eating solid food initially. Prefer taking a liquid diet.
Infections & other complications
Uvular infection is detectable by the presence of swelling and darkening of the uvula. It can cause pain and itching in the neck part. Swallowing or inhaling too can be painful. The process of curing an infection involves removal of the jewelry and let it heal. In severe cases, performing surgery can remove it permanently.
Jewelry for uvular piercing
The suitable jewelry for uvular piercing includes Captive bead rings and curved barbells that run transversely through the piercings. Metal should be noncorrosive or less reactive to minimize the risk of infections. Gold and Silver are ideal metals for the piercings. Surgical Steel, Niobium, and Titanium can also be good choices for metal selection. The bead on CBRs can be either metallic or made from colored glass, ceramic, acrylic or a gemstone.
Uvula Piercing Pictures
Insertion of a 14 gauge CBR is quite common, but 16 gauges and 14 gauge CBRs also find use in uvular piercings.
Cost of uvular piercing
The price of piercing in the most elite salon can range between $100 and $180. The cost may vary due to jewelry selection.
Tooth Piercing or Dental Piercing Tongue Web Piercing or Web piercing
Ten articles before and after