While many lip piercings have variations, none are as quirky as the horizontal lip piercing. This piercing is a must for anyone interested in a unique placement!
Below you’ll find everything you need to know about horizontal lip piercings including price, procedure, pain level and healing time. Recommended aftercare products & various photos will help you make the horizontal lip piercing all your own.
What is a Horizontal Lip Piercing?
A horizontal lip piercing is a continuous puncture situated across the bottom lip. This piercing is usually adorned with a straight or curved barbell and has two ends poking out on top of the lip.
Should You Get a Horizontal Lip Piercing?
As with any piercing, horizontal lip piercings have their risks & rewards. Read the following pros & cons to see if this piercing is right for you:
- This piercing highlights the lips in a big way and brings symmetry to the face. All genders can comfortably wear this piercing.
- Horizontal lip piercings are quite rare and would most likely draw more attention. This piercing is definitely intended to make a statement.
- Since the lip area is very sensitive, healing and changing jewelry can be more painful than other piercings. These worries can be reduced by choosing a small needle and well-fitting jewelry.
- Horizontal lip piercings will leave scarring if they are removed. Make absolutely sure you’re good with keeping this piercing (or the scars) before you get it done.
Horizontal lip piercing is a delicate and sensitive procedure that requires precision. Choosing a reputable piercer is very important for this piercing so that it looks how it should.
When you arrive at the shop, your piercer will go over the procedure and have you fill out some paperwork while they set up. Once they’re ready, your lip will be cleaned and marked with a surgical pen. Make sure you like the location of the marks before moving forward!
Your lip will then be clamped and the surface of your lip will be punctured with a hollow needle. The needle will promptly be changed out for your chosen jewelry. Afterwards, your piercer will talk to you about proper piercing aftercare. Be sure you understand what you need to do and ask any questions you may have.
See the videos below for a look at horizontal lip piercing in real time.
How Much do Horizontal Lip Piercings Hurt?
5 out of 10
Horizontal lip piercings are rated at a 5/10 on the pain scale. This rating is higher because it is a more complicated procedure in a sensitive area.
Your pain level may vary depending on lip sensitivity, tissue thickness or needle size. Choosing a piercer you trust will ensure these things are taken into account beforehand.
Read more about the most painful piercings.
Healing and Aftercare
Horizontal lip piercing healing time usually takes around 6 – 8 weeks.
Your lip will be swollen and sensitive for the first few days, but these issues should go away within a week. Remember the following aftercare guidelines to keep your piercing healthy:
- Always wash your hands thoroughly before touching your piercing.
- Do not play with or move your piercing.
- Keep oral contact with other people and things to a minimum.
- Make sure your piercing is completely healed before removing your jewelry. Early jewelry removal can cause your piercing to close.
- Clean your piercing twice per day as described below to minimize risk of infection.
Read more about cleaning your new piercing.
How to Clean Your Piercing
Mix 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt with 8 oz warm water. After the salt has dissolved, pour some saline solution on a clean pad or towel. Hold it on your piercing for a few minutes to help loosen any crusted debris that may be present.
Carefully clean off any debris and the ends of your jewelry while keeping your jewelry still. Repeat this procedure once in the morning and once at night to ensure your piercing stays clean throughout the day.
Recommended Aftercare Products
This piercing sea salt is ideal for at-home saline solutions.
[powerkit_button size=”lg” style=”secondary” block=”true” url=”https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NTAH740/ref=as_li_ss_tl?th=1&linkCode=ll1&tag=newpiercings-20&linkId=c803244438447805b50d928e393c41cd” target=”_blank” nofollow=”false”]
Buy Now on Amazon
Piercing aftercare spray
Saline spray is ideal for anyone on-the-go. Throw it in your bag and clean your piercing anywhere!
[powerkit_button size=”lg” style=”secondary” block=”true” url=”https://www.amazon.com/H2Ocean-Piercing-Aftercare-Spray-Fluid/dp/B007M1ZQM2/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=ll1&tag=newpiercings-20&linkId=0853f84b69e9fadfc4cbd13242ed4719″ target=”_blank” nofollow=”false”]
Buy Now on Amazon
Best Jewelry for Horizontal Lip Piercings
Be sure to insist on high quality surgical steel or titanium jewelry when getting pierced. Do not use plated metal or plastic jewelry, as these may cause piercing infection or keloids.
Curved barbells or spiked ends can add something extra to an already-unique piercing.
The classic choice for horizontal lip piercings is a straight barbell. This can be enhanced with different ends depending on your mood.
While studs or rings may be plausible, use caution when trying them. This piercing is more elongated than a typical lip piercing and it may be uncomfortable with different jewelry.
How Much Does a Horizontal Lip Piercing Cost?
- In the US, horizontal lip piercings range from $40 – $70.
- In the UK, horizontal lip piercings range from £35 – £80.
- In Europe, horizontal lip piercings range from €30 to €80.
The cost of your piercing usually indicates the experience of the piercer. Basic jewelry is usually included in this cost.
Horizontal Lip Piercing Experiences
Horizontal Lip Piercing Image Gallery
It pisses me off when I can’t find proven information about piercing type I interested in. That is why Piercee was created.
Shark Bites Piercing – Ultimate Experience Guide
Ten articles before and after