Just like their namesake, madonna piercings are both edgy and beautiful. These piercings highlight the lips and give anyone a unique sense of style!
This guide will tell you all you need to know about madonna piercings, including price, pain level, procedure and healing time. Recommended aftercare products and a photo gallery ensure you’ll know how to make this piercing all your own.
What is a Madonna Piercing?
A madonna piercing is a single puncture located on the right side of the upper lip. This piercing is similar to the monroe piercing, but monroe piercings are located on the left side of the face while madonna piercings are on the right.
Angel bite piercings refer to the combination of both the monroe and madonna piercings.
Should You Get a Madonna Piercing?
As with any other piercing, madonna piercings have their risks and rewards. Review the pros & cons below to see if this piercing is right for you:
- Madonna piercings highlight the lip area and imitate beauty marks. This is a unique piercing that is sure to attract attention!
- Pain level for madonna piercings is low since there is only one puncture through relatively thin skin.
- This is a fairly common feminine piercing, so you may have to get creative with making it your own.
- Piercing bumps, infections and other complications can happen with any piercing. This risk is drastically reduced if you take your aftercare regimen seriously.
Finding a reputable piercer is the first step in any piercing journey. When you arrive at the shop, your piercer will discuss the procedure with you and you’ll fill out some paperwork. After setting up their sanitary environment, your piercer will call you back and clean the piercing area. They will then mark the location of your new piercing. Make sure you like the placement before moving forward!
The rest is quick and easy. Your piercer will secure your lip with a clamp and quickly puncture your top lip with a hollow needle. Your jewelry will be inserted as the last step, and your piercer will discuss proper aftercare with you. Be sure to pay close attention and ask any lingering questions before you leave the shop.
Check out the videos below for real-time experiences on getting a madonna piercing
How Much do Madonna Piercings Hurt?
4 out of 10
[powerkit_progressbar value=”40″ height=”20″ color=”primary” display_value=”true” striped=”true” animated=”true”]
Madonna piercing pain level ranks at a 4/10 on the pain scale. The lip area has many nerve endings that heighten the relative pain level, but the procedure is over quickly. It is normal for your piercing to be swollen and tender for the first few days. Also remember that individual pain tolerance makes every experience different, so you may find madonna piercings slightly more or less painful. Stay calm, take deep breaths and maintain a positive outlook to distract yourself from the pain.
Read more about the most & least painful piercings.
Healing and Aftercare
Madonna piercing healing time usually takes 6 to 10 weeks. Full healing can take up to 9 months.
You can help speed up the healing process by taking your aftercare regimen seriously. Follow the guidelines below for a smooth healing process:
- Always wash your hands thoroughly before touching your piercing.
- Maintain good oral hygiene and be careful not to move your piercing around when you brush your teeth.
- Do not remove your initial jewelry until your piercing is fully healed. Early removal can cause infection and piercing closure. Contact your piercer if you have concerns.
- Clean your piercing twice per day as directed below.
Recommended Aftercare Products
This sea salt is perfect for making your own saline solution at home.
[powerkit_button size=”lg” style=”secondary” block=”true” url=”https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NTAH740/ref=as_li_ss_tl?th=1&linkCode=ll1&tag=newpiercings-20&linkId=c803244438447805b50d928e393c41cd” target=”_blank” nofollow=”false”]
Buy Now on Amazon
Piercing aftercare spray
Saline spray is a great on-the-go option. Throw it in your bag and clean your piercing anywhere!
[powerkit_button size=”lg” style=”secondary” block=”true” url=”https://www.amazon.com/H2Ocean-Piercing-Aftercare-Spray-Fluid/dp/B007M1ZQM2/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=ll1&tag=newpiercings-20&linkId=0853f84b69e9fadfc4cbd13242ed4719″ target=”_blank” nofollow=”false”]
Buy Now on Amazon
How to Clean Your Madonna Piercing
Your new piercing should be clean from front to back. Cleaning the outside of your piercing with saline wash is the gentlest & most effective cleaning method. To make your own saline solution, dissolve 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt in an 8 oz glass of warm water. Pour some of the mixture onto a clean pad or towel and hold it on the outside of your piercing. This will help loosen any debris and allow the solution to soak in. Wipe off any debris while gently being careful to keep your jewelry still.
To clean the inside of your mouth, swish with a non-alcoholic mouthwash after you eat and when you apply saline wash. Clean your piercing once in the morning and once at night to make sure it regularly stays clean.
What to Avoid During Healing
Be sure to thoughtfully avoid the following while your piercing is healing:
- Avoid drinking alcohol and eating spicy foods.
- Do not apply skincare or cosmetics to the piercing to avoid infection.
- Avoid swimming in public pools or open waters. This can introduce outside bacteria and cause serious problems.
- Avoid oral contact with others during the initial healing period.
- Do not touch or twist your jewelry.
Madonna Piercing Risks
Potential complications can arise if you do not take your aftercare seriously. Watch out for the following issues:
- Infection. Avoid the interactions above and regularly clean your piercing to reduce your risk of infection. Choose high quality jewelry like surgical steel or titanium to keep your piercing happy and healthy.
- Tooth & gum erosion. Ill-fitting jewelry can rub on your teeth or gums and cause erosion. Avoid this risk by wearing properly-fitting jewelry at all times.
- Scars and keloids. Infections or stretching may cause scarring on your piercing. Pay attention to aftercare and use caution when stretching your piercing. Contact your piercer or doctor if you experience piercing swelling, bleeding or tenderness.
Best Jewelry for Madonna Piercings
Labret studs are the most common jewelry for madonna piercings. You may have a longer labret stud initially to account for swelling, but this can be swapped out for shorter & flashier versions after healing. Curved barbells give the madonna piercing an edge if you want to switch things up.
How Much Does a Madonna Piercing Cost?
- In the US, madonna piercings range from $20 to $60.
- In the UK, madonna piercings range from £20 to £50.
- In Europe, madonna piercings range from €15 to €55.
The associated price usually indicates the experience of your piercer and includes basic jewelry. Any jewelry upgrades will most likely cost more.
Madonna Piercing Experiences
Madonna & monroe piercings are two versions of the same piercing. Explore the videos below to learn more about these piercings.
Madonna Piercing Image Gallery
It pisses me off when I can’t find proven information about piercing type I interested in. That is why Piercee was created.
Ashley Piercing – Ultimate Experience Guide
Ten articles before and after